Tuesday, May 5, 2015

TFA Character Reveals and the Future of Publishing

While I did not create a blog post specifically for my reactions to the new photos from The Force Awakens, I was unexpectedly lucky to be able to air them on Tosche Station Radio during a show which was expected to cover Star Wars publishing. It was great to join Brian and Nanci there. Along with the TFA photos, we talked about the book news from Celebration Anaheim and our hopes for Star Wars novels. The books and comics alike seem constrained to the Original Trilogy time period for now, but I doubt it will remain that way in the future, since franchise universes are made to grow and change.

The photos of Captain Phasma were the most exciting thing for me to discover in the Vanity Fair article. I'm glad to see confirmation that Gwendoline Christie will fill what looks like a very cool role. Star Wars has a good track record with armored bad guys, and making one a woman (possibly gender-swapped late in the casting) is even better.

Will I like Phasma in the movie? I'm not sure - I'm a big fan of the Sith but tend to be bored by the Imperials. Maybe the First Order will be a little different. Of course, the character herself and her relationship to her role and the people around her is key - but cool armor doesn't hurt. Check out Tosche Station for more on the new cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment