Monday, May 27, 2013

Legacy #3

I told myself that whether or not I liked Legacy #3 would decide whether I continued the series. Three trips to the comic shop had been enough. Legacy has been a good adventure, but murky art and characters I didn’t love made me feel ambivalent. In #3, the characters are fleshed out a bit more.

Each get a few panels in the middle of a fight scene to expand upon their previous personalities. Ania has a moment of panic, although she does save the day, and Sauk’s knowledge comes in handy. I liked both of them better after that, when they were a little more equal.

The art remains the same. This issue’s space battles with asteroids and monsters showed the range of colors and textures the artists Gabriel Hardman and  Rachelle Rosenberg can create, though, and I seem to enjoy the landscapes more than the people. There are some cool images of Ania, and her body language mirrors Han’s in the way she holds her blaster.

 Jao Assam has a bigger part in this issue, and the plot continues to move fast as he joins Ania and company in his search for the real Master Val. He adds a nice variety to the existing group, now containing of a junkwoman/smuggler, reluctant miner, assassin droid, and Jedi. Jao is honest with Ania while also noting that her homeworld is a “backwater”, and I’m curious to find out how they will interact in the future.

The dialogue in #3 is at times very funny, especially Sauk’s. I enjoyed it, and now understand why Jao was on the cover of #1. I have hope that Ania will continue to grow on me, and I’d like to see more of her backstory. I’m not sure if that’s within the scope of the story that writers Corinna Bechko & Gabriel Hardman wanted to tell, but I’ll go back to the comic shop to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment