Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Things I Like This Week, Issue #2

The internet contains many things. Some of them are likeable.

 Things I Like This Week

1. One Fan's Analysis of Molly Hooper
 
I'm pretty new to the BBC's Sherlock, but I do know that it has a boisterous fandom and a slight lack of female leads.  (It also has brilliant writing and a man named Benedict Cumberbatch.) So I grateful when Long-Suffering Roommate linked me to Miss Transmission's blog post on Molly Hooper. Molly is a forensic pathologist: she's also an in-universe Sherlock fangirl. And Miss Transmission made some great points about why she's a unique female character. I wish some of her points had been around for me to quote in my post about Mara Jade. She writes:   
 
"There is absolutely nothing wrong, of course, with Irene Adler. I admire her immensely.... she’s a character I can objectively admire and understand, but never look for in the mirror. There is a trend in media for strong women who are outwardly so. They are witty, snarky, toned, and know how to hold a gun. The role model being pushed is that of the ultimate woman. It’s progress – I wouldn’t trade River Song for a hundred people from Hollywood’s past – but there’s a silent repercussion, a fortification of the idea that women have to be twice as accomplished to be considered half as good, to deserve this screen time at all. They are always extraordinary, always the one in a million. Importantly, there’s no variety – only one mould to fit ourselves into. It’s a great mould, yes, but not for everyone – because there is no such thing as a real woman, no one mould that anyone should have to squeeze themselves into if it doesn’t fit. Molly Hooper is, finally, different. "

2. Club Jade's Lukewarm Response to Mara Figure

Club Jade is a fantastic source for Star Wars information (you can find them there in my sidebar). It's a treat when they're also a fantastic source for snark, as was the case when Hasbro announced their new Mara Jade figure. 
 
3. Mainstream Media Covers Shippers
 
The Journal of Transformative Works linked me to this Entertainment Weekly article about shippers ("a varied, dynamic, sometimes combative community whose members desire romance from — or project romance onto — almost any kind of pop culture pairing") for Valentine's day. The full article is not available online, but this overview covers some of its main points and promises bits about the history of and the students of shipping for those who buy the magazine in print. I'll be keeping my eyes out. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    BBC Sherlock is a classic with superb acting, music and clever plots :)

    ReplyDelete