Thursday, July 21, 2011

Neil, Jay, and The Todds

I have returned home. There are an extraordinary amount of trees here.

Both the captain and the first officer on the plane I took this afternoon had the first name of Todd. I mentally referred to them as The Todds for the duration of the trip. The Todds were better at takeoff than at landing, but we're all perfectly fine and the plane still has all its flaps.

I have been catching up with the blogs I wasn't reading while away. The reason I'm writing this at all is because of Neil Gaiman, who has this great voice in his blog and also occasionally posts interviews involving the holy trinity of himself, Terry Pratchett, and Josh Ritter. Also Harlan Ellison, who is probably the Fallen element in this imagined cosmology. Neil's blog is just very droll and gives a great look into a writer and a personality. And on a feminist note, his name tag read "Mr. Amanda F. Palmer" at the latest award ceremony he went to. That's both hilarious and empowering.

Speaking of women and blogs, Fangirlblog has this article on Whether Slave Leia Weakens or Empowers Women. I don't entirely agree with her conclusion but also...haven't yet found the parts I  disagree with on an intellectual level rather than a "wait you had a time in your life when it was easy to be skinny?!" level.

Speaking of...women and blogs, there will be some Clone Wars Season 4 footage revealed at San Diego Comic-Con, the video for which is available here. My opinion about it may be written down later when it's more specific.

3 comments:

  1. I'm amused by your author-pantheon cosmology.

    Takeoff and landing are always...tense times. I'm conflicted, Nem; flying is amazing but I've always got the lurking fear it'll kill me. I'm just not an adrenaline-rush sort of person I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of that one.

    I wouldn't say I'm an adrenaline-rush sort of person either, but...for example, I avoid roller coasters. The whole idea of them is to create fear and excitement (mostly excitement) without any actual danger, and I don't enjoy that because it just comes off as mostly fear for me. But planes, where there's actual danger...I love takeoff and landing.The Todds did fine. They just landed very quickly and took off very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I feel the same way about roller coasters (except for the danger part). People think I'm crazy, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks they're pretty pointless (they're rather fascinating from an engineering point of view, however).

    ReplyDelete